Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oh Wow! So much to Tell!

Ok, been neglecting, yet again! Not even sure where to start! Went through three crazy bouts of the cold/flu/stomach bug with all the kids since I last posted. It reaked havoc on my workout schedule and got us extremely behind on schoolwork.When the stress got completely insane about getting caught up on schoolwork so the kids wouldn't have to repeat a grade, I decided to pull them out of virtual school and go back to straight homeschooling.

Now this wasn't the only reason I pulled them, it just pushed up the date a bit. This year was a rough year with virtual school, trying to get services for the kids that they needed, being passed around from teacher to teacher without warning or explanation, having to jump through hoops all the time for unnecesssary medical testing, and the school being more focussed on completing curriculum and AIMS performance than how much the kids were actually learning. I finally figured out that the progress they were making had nothing to do with what the school was providing but was do to the adjustments I was making in teaching them. So now we are on our own!

We have done a few field trips, one to Luke Air Force Base for and air show (AJ now wants to be a pilot AND a fireman! (the kid is an adrenaline junkie!) and the County Fair! We are doing a unit study on the pioneers and segwaying that into farming so the fair fit in nicely. I have to say that I am once again realizing how fun it can be to learn with the kids! They are learning to think for themselves, and they are doing schoolwork without argument. They actually come up with assignments on their own!

We are also back at church. We got out of the habit when Chad had a weekend job because our weekends were nuts! But we figured we no longer had and excuse and we all seemed to have an urge to be there. It's funny how if you just sit still long enough you can hear GOD calling you!

Chad is doing well at work. His position got shifted around a bit, due to layoffs but he's managing to learn pretty much every position there. With the shortage of jobs out here we are kind of looking at this as a blessing. As long as he's still getting hours, we aren't going to complain!

The weight loss is still going well. I am currently at 32 pounds lost. It's nice actually seeing the difference in the mirror. With as busy as things have been lately I am only getting to the gym half the time I use to so I am trying to find some balance between all I have taken on so I can get back to being so consistent with the work out.

Well, I had better get my day going if I want to get anything done around here, hope all is well with everyone! I will post some pics when I get the chance!

Love and Hugs,

Mary

No comments: